Monday, November 27, 2006

Cold Turkey

I imagine that some readers of this blog are so young – over 18, I certainly hope, though I seldom say too much that's too explicit – but young enough that they remember using the family internet connection under their parents' watchful eye. I can imagine that in some cases that's pretty difficult – not wanting pages in the history but not wanting to suspiciously clear the history, following links so that at least addresses don't appear in the address bar, not saving the many text files or pictures that you'd prefer to. Parental oversight of internet activity is only something I've encountered when I've checked my e-mail from my mom's retirement apartment.
(by the way, having my mom, whom I do love dearly, watch me navigate the 'net is, unbelievably, even worse than having her navigate while I drive – why did you go there? It let you do that? I didn't know it would let you do that... I can't believe it let you do that, I never knew it would let you do that...)

But a close second to parental oversight is having the kids here for the holidays. At least I can dump the history and cache, the hell with suspicion. And I have a DVD writer so I can easily write out all of my scene files to DVD, lock it up, delete the files from the hard drive, and empty the recycle bin. Check anything I log into and make sure I haven't set it up to log me in automatically. Make sure nothing too obscene is listed in any of the applications' "recently used files" lists. And so on, though as I said, the least of my worries.

Then it's the five days of togetherness with cold-turkey withdrawal for three of my favorite activities – writing, reading, and corresponding. Though it goes far beyond feeling slightly (or wholly) out of touch. First of all, the teenagers have no desire for my 24/7 attention or activities – especially two of them who have strict limits on how much interpersonal interaction they can stand in any 24, 48, or 72-hour period. Exceed these limits and they either withdraw non-negotiably or break down physically. So I do come up with a fair amount of free time.

I hate to call myself a writer, since I only do it as a hobby, only write scene material, and only get it posted, never "published." But "as a writer" I always, always feel behind. Thinking takes minutes; writing takes hours or days. Thinking can occur at any time; writing, for me, requires a concentrated, seldom-interrupted block. Having five days (I took Wednesday off) without work would normally seem like a great time to "catch up" if that's at all possible, and some of the mountain of writing I'd like to do – and not only writing but on-line reading that I also can't always keep up with. Some of it's writing – stories and essays – and some is correspondence and dialogue and chatting, which can also be a little hard to keep up with, due to conflicting schedules and all.

Much as I love my kids – I'd much rather have them here every second weekend, if they still lived in town – having them here for all of my holiday and vacation time can be a bit taxing.

So if you're in an unfortunate situation – still sharing a computer with your parents, for instance, regardless of your age – you have my sympathy. But don't feel like you're alone. While I had a great Thanksgiving with much to be thankful for (including coming up with a Christmas present for my hard-to-buy-for youngest) I am still jumping back into things feeling five days farther behind than ever!

5 comments:

Serenity Everton said...

I've had the experience of surfing while being watched over the shoulder... of staying up late to check my non-vanilla e-mail account after the parents were in bed... of being instructed in how to turn off their computer just how they do it...

The best thing I ever did was buy a laptop ... and take it to my parents with me. My brother beat me to the idea by one month. It took him about 2 hours to convince my dad to purchase DSL, another day or two to install it, and set up an unsecured wireless network, and settle down in his room with this laptop to IM his girlfriend at the time. So by the time I got there a month later, he had already established the parameters of privacy.

Why unsecured? His point was that in that rural area, no one was close enough to steal the connection without camping out in full sight of my parents' windows. And he didn't want them to have to remember another password. Good thing, sometimes they still call to ask us their e-mail one...

Anonymous said...

Well, I have kids using my computer...and my mother living with us as well. She has her own PC, but it's very close to mine, and she has the unfortunately habit of walking up behind me to see 'what I'm going'.

I'm writing Chapter 31 of my current spanking erotica novel - that's what, Mom.

Don't think that would go over too well. ;)

The Sandwich generation indeed.

IE Privacy Keeper. Freeware, and it erases tracks very well each time you exit your browser.

My writing is in a hidden folder, and each entry is password protected.

So...how old do I have to be before I don't have to hide this from ANYONE?

And BTW...I can relate to the stress of being deprived of pleasure of writing. Even though I'm not a 'real' author either. :)

Anonymous said...

Here is my experience - when I was a flower of the mountain, to quote a famous book, I once was looking at a kinky stuff on my computer. In the meantime, a college friend overlooked that and saw it all. All. And teases me still. Gave me a set of wooden, nylon and rubber utensils for Xmas some years ago. Well, I still use those spoons and all, and one actually just got broken over my bottom a few days ago.

Anonymous said...

I can relate to family and not wanting them to see our interests.

I'm 29. Three yrs ago I moved in with my parents while switching jobs so I could save up enough to move back out on my own again. I was careful to delete the history of many of my favorite spanking sites, not aware of how dad's network log was watching EVERYTHING I did. It was NOT a pretty picture when he saw the sites I had been visiting.

A few months after, I moved to Wyoming (my folks live in Georgia). So now I can do anything I want......except when I go home for Christmas vacation. I have to suddenly go for nearly 2 weeks without any form of spanking sites, or even non-vanilla email. Then I come back home and binge for a week. So far it's worked out great. My folks believe they "scared me straigt" years ago, when all they did was make it clear that I need to hide my interests a lot better.

True Blue Me said...

When I was living with my sister I had some non vanilla friends and when we'd chat I forgot what word we came up for instead of spanking but you couldn't tell the difference. My sister wouldn't look unless she thought you were hiding something because she was so dumba$$ she thought she had the right to know everything. Her kids though would just stand behind you and try to read. Yeah I would go and do the same and they realized no they can't tell me to move if they're doing the same. Just used vanilla words and could keep the chat room open for all to see lol